Comfort food chicken and rice is an absolute staple in our home. This recipe is family-friendly, easy to put together, and contains simple ingredients. When I’m in search of some yummy comfort food, I always turn to casseroles and carbs. Something about the combination of these two foods just makes me feel like I’ve got a warm blanket wrapped around me!
This meal reminds me of cozy living rooms, easy family dinners, and lots of laughter. It’s perfect for days when you want to throw together a meal and just leave it in the oven to do its thing!
Why your family will love this recipe:
- It’s budget friendly
- Easy & simple ingredients that are in your pantry
- It stretches a long ways and can feed a crowd if you need it to
- Super easy to put together and cook
- It’s easy to modify for dietary restrictions like gluten free
What do you serve with this meal?
I love to serve this meal with a simple salad and some warm crusty bread. My version of a simple salad is to mix romaine lettuce with spring greens. I will throw on our toppings of choice, usually pepitas, croutons, and some shredded cheese. Our favorite salad dressings include Tessemae’s Avocado Ranch, Tessemae’s Green Goddess Dressing, and Olive Garden dressing.
You can usually grab a loaf of french bread from the grocery store for just a few dollars. Slice it, spread some butter and then pop it in the oven for a few minutes. For the gluten-free folks in our family, I will pull some GF bread from our freezer and warm up a few slices for them. Our favorite gluten-free bread is Canyon Bakehouse 7-Grain Bread. It’s a winner every time!
Ways to modify this recipe:
- We chose to make this chicken & rice gluten-free by using GF cream of mushroom soup & GF cream of chicken soup. There are also some great GF onion soup mixes out there. You can also make your own soup mixes! I like making a big batch of soup mix and having some on hand for other recipes.
- Make this meal meatless with portobello mushrooms, whole or sliced. Toss the mushrooms in olive oil and fresh garlic and then place the mushrooms on top of the rice & soup mixture.
- Crumble bacon and sprinkle it on top for an extra layer of “guilty pleasure”.
- Add frozen broccoli before baking to get some extra veggies in.
Tools you may need:
How to make comfort food chicken & rice
Preheat your oven to 350. Spread about a tablespoon butter in a large baking pan. In a medium bowl, combine cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, 8oz of water and rice. Pour that mixture into the buttered pan. Place chicken thighs on top of the mixture. Sprinkle onion soup mix over the top of the chicken. Cover the pan with foil and place in the oven for 60-90 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Serve while warm to enjoy it to the fullest!
Comfort Food Chicken and Rice
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 cups rice
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Spread about a tablespoon butter in a large baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, 8oz of water and rice. Pour that mixture into the buttered pan.
- Place chicken thighs on top of the mixture. Sprinkle onion soup mix over the top of the chicken.
- Cover the pan with foil and place in the oven for 60-90 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.